07/11/2007

Stephin Merritt - A Man of a Million Faces

stephin merrit npr
Stephin Merritt is one of the great loves of my life, he has produced consistently incredible music for over 15 years. As well has his own name he has recorded under the monikers The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes and The Gothic Archies, all of which are awesome (leave FBH till last though! :-s). People throw the word 'genius' around willy-nillily, I'm not one of those idiots, I reserve the term for dudes that kick some serious ass, if you like to listen to the saddest, catchiest, most perfectly formed pop songs on earth then Stephin is gonna open a can of whoop-ass on yo ass. Seriously, this guy is a genius, his music is a work of genius; when I met my girlfriend I made her a compilation of his music and labelled the cd "Stephin Merritt: Gay Genius", she listened to it and told me that she cried her eyes out all the way through and refuses to listen to him and always insists that I turn him off, thats the kind of genius we are dealing with!

He recently recorded a song called 'A Man of a Million Faces' in two days for NPR, from their site: "The challenge: Write and record a song — in two days. (We provide the studio and the inspiration.)". Go to NPR's website now to watch a 10 minute video of Stephin writing and recording the song from start to end, yessssssss.

To make sure your ears don't feel left out here's an MP3 for y'all too, back in my deepest, darkest, most disgusting pit of depression I cried more tears to this song that you have had hot dinners, get a box of tissues now y'hear?

MP3: The Magnetic Fields - Busby Berkeley Dreams

Buy Stephin Merritt albums on Amazon, the Boxing Duck! gets a percentage of whatever you spend so get your hands in your pockets!

No comments: